Mission San Luis Rey de Francia
Client: Old Mission San Luis Rey
Background and Issue
The Mission San Luis Rey was the largest of the historic California missions. The mission as established in 1798 and the adobe church was built so after. Under the direction of Fr. Joseph Jeremias O’Keefe, it underwent a major restoration from 1892 to 1912. Like non-reinforced brick buildings, adobe structures are not safe during earthquakes. Therefore the mission undertook a seismic reinforcing of the structure (designed by others).
During the seismic project, additional donations became available to complete some other restoration and rehabilitation projects at the church. These included new power, lighting, sound, and security systems. The new systems were carefully integrated into the building to minimize the impact on the historic features of the church.
Completed while at Architectural Resources Group